Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!

Good Morning! It is a beautiful sunny day here in Southern California. I got up about 6:30 and did my usual routine. I am thankful today for my health and our home and my family and the meal that I do not have to cook tonight. Mari and I are going walking at the lake sometime today. I am making eggs and pancakes for breakfast this morning. Rory will make his Eggs Benedict.
Watching Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, eating breakfast and doing my morning computer routine. Took a nap, then did morning house stuff. Now we are watching The National Dog Show. Thanks to Wikipedia for a brief history of Thanksgiving-Thanksgiving is a holiday celebrated in the United States on the fourth Thursday in November. It has officially been an annual tradition since 1863, when during the Civil War, President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed a national day of "Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens", to be celebrated on Thursday, November 26. The event that some Americans, commonly call the "First Thanksgiving" was celebrated by the Pilgrims after their first harvest in the New World in 1621. The first Thanksgiving feast lasted three days and was attended by 53 Pilgrims and 90 Native Americans. The New England colonists were accustomed to regularly celebrating days of prayer thanking God for blessings such as military victory or the end of a drought, though the 1621 events were likely not a religious observation. The first documented thanksgiving feasts in the territory currently belonging to the United States were conducted by Spaniards in the 16th Century. Thanksgiving services were routine in what was to become the Commonwealth of Virginia as early as 1607, with the first permanent settlement of Jamestown, Virginia holding a Thanksgiving in 1610. Mari and I left about 2:30 to go walking the lake and we found a Starbucks open. Walked the lake, drove through the canyon to get home, which I always enjoy and then went to Claim Jumper to "claim" my dinner. it was delicious. I am reading a book and I really wanted to finish it. Just as we were putting dinner in the oven, Rory came down. On holidays, he wants to come down and have dinner with the family! That is great, but we do it, in front of the TV. As we were putting dinner together, my ADHD kicked in and with the TV going, I could not concentrate. I asked him to put the TV on mute, which he did, but he thought as soon as I started to talk to Mari, that meant he could take the TV off mute. I got very tired and I was really getting tired of the TV. Finally Rory finished his pie and went upstairs and I turned the TV off! YEA! Finishing Thanksgiving on a quiet note. Will do some reading at 9 and to bed at 10. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and was thankful! Good night. Trudi

No comments:

Post a Comment